A night to remember

The camel caravan arrived at 4pm to the Auberge to pick up an American and an English couple, two Japanese girls and me. Just getting on the camel was a feat in itself and then staying on it …
We rode for about 30 minutes before stopping to admire the sunset in the desert. Then again upon the camel and another hour at least to the camp. By this time it was cold, windy and dark except for an almost full moon. Quite romantic one can say, except I was there alone and all the others were riding alone as well. I think most were just cold and very happy once we arrived and could get off the camel.

The camp was a little surprise. I really had a chemical toilet and running water. We all sat down for some minted tea and nuts and were a short while later served a soup and chicken Tajine. Soup and vegetables of the Tajine were excellent. The chicken was over cooked, but so far I only had one I liked. It came from a road side grill.
After that, and amid laughter and screaming because there was a literal cat fight going on (how did they ever make it out there?), we went outside to the fire place to enjoy some Berber music (lots of drums) and a bit of singing. Then it was our turn to try the drums. Nobody was as excellent as the locals.
Around 10pm I called it a night and ventured in my little tent. It consisted of a lone light bulb hanging from the tent ceiling (they do have a generator for electricity), a big mattress, two bed sheets and three blankets. I was really glad to have brought a pair of leggings and some extra thick wool socks. Armed with this and my flash light (a head light I had bought earlier this year for a music festival) I went to bed and thought I was dying of draft. My head was cold very fast, so I wrapped my scarf around it and must have looked like a mummy. But it helped, kept me snugly and comfy during the night. Which was quite short cause I woke with the first cry of the roosters. So around 6am I trudged to the toilet/washroom to get ready for a day. Nobody else was up although it was already quite light. They told us we would get a wake up call in time for the sunrise and also with enough time to climb a huge sand dune behind the camp. By the time the wake up came I was already on my way up.
I couldn’t make it all the way to the top. It is a lot harder to walk up in sand than I imagined. Also I had to stop after every 50 steps to get some air. Felt like a chain smoker although I haven’t touched any the last couple of years. In between I was always turning around, fearing to miss the sunrise. Finally decided it was enough, sat and gulped down a lot of water. And then the sunrise happened.


Every step was worth it. I was the only one on the dune. Everybody else had stayed down and enjoyed it a bit later. And I could also slide down the sand. Heaven!
Back in the camp the breakfast table was set for us outside.


After some strengthening with coffee and bread we were on our way back to the Auberge. The white camel was mine.


The ride back was uneventful except still a bit cold although the sun was out. We arrived back at the Auberge where we could take a hot shower and get more coffee. And the it was back on the road to Dades Gorge!
Yours, Pollybert



Let me know what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.